Friday, February 20, 2015

Scars and All

A couple weeks ago, my dorm floor spent a week focusing on different aspects of beauty. We covered the mirrors and wrote encouraging notes to each other full of Christ's love. My roommate and I personally spent one of those days without using mirrors. I hadn't realized how often I look at myself until then. I hadn't realized that the mirror had become an idol for me. I was subconsciously obsessed with matching that vision of beauty that I had in my head. I talk about this now and not three weeks ago because of something that happened this morning. As I was getting ready in front of my mirror, I realized for maybe the first time in my twenty-one years of life that I liked me. I didn't feel the need to cover scars or flaunt curves. Instead, I felt comfortable and truly beautiful. I hadn't been wearing make-up for a couple months because I wanted to work on accepting myself, scars and all. When I realized how I felt this morning, I didn't feel obligated to wear make-up but instead chose to because I wanted to. To me, this was a big difference. It's amazing how God can work in small ways. I felt the love and acceptance of God today. I want to experience this more often, every day even.

No comments:

Post a Comment