Friday, July 5, 2013

Change

Ine chano chaka nifuna chinja nigewenzele mulungu. This is Nyanja for "This year I will change; I will work for God." I feel like so far, the focus of my life has been change. A common phrase around the Chisomo center is "change needs to come from within the children, and only God can do that." The children need a change of heart, not a change of circumstances. A lot of them are curious about God, but still don't want to make that step to accept Jesus into their hearts as Savior. It seems like they understand that they know the change that will happen in their lives when they do that. But since they don't want to leave the streets, they don't want to accept Christ right now. They say maybe later, next week, or next month, then I will make the steps to changing. But they have a drive to learn and to read the Bible. They don't have real Bibles and loved when they were able to hold ours in their own hands to read. And they love to practice reading. None of the children I met yesterday had any education above the fifth grade; many had even lower reading levels. They yearned to read anything. We wrote them Bible verses that they would take turns reading or reading worship song lyrics. Before I see them again on Tuesday, I will write down more Bible verses and lyrics for them to read. I want to be very intentional with the verses that I write for them so that I can present the gospel in this form too. I think they will be receptive to that approach. Please pray that we are able to present the gospel in a new way that will inspire them to accept God into their hearts and change.

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you, Ally. I'm especially excited about the opportunity for you to use literacy instruction to teach children about Jesus! As you know, I think reading is a gift from God. :) What an awesome chance you have to be a part of building God's kingdom and truly changing the lives of these children forever. You are in my prayers daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen! I have so much to tell you and talk to you about!

    ReplyDelete